The Options Industry Council Announces A New Monthly Volume Record As July Trading Jumps 72% Over The Same Period Last Year
Chicago—August 1, 2007
The Options Industry Council (OIC) announced today that total options trading volume in July reached 265,867,612 contracts, a 72 percent increase over the year-ago level of 154,613,858 contracts. This sets a new monthly trading volume record 16 percent higher than the previous record set in May 2007.
OIC also reported that a new equity options volume record was set in July with 240,604,829 contracts changing hands, an increase of 72.4 percent over July 2006.
Year-to-date options volume stands at 1.53 billion contracts, up 31.2 percent over the same point in 2006 and higher than the total annual trading volume in 2005. Equity options volume for the year so far is up 30.5 percent from the year ago level.
Average daily trading volume climbed to unprecedented levels in July, finishing the month at 12,660,363 contracts, compared to 7,730,693 contracts in July 2006. Daily trading volume for 2007 is averaging 10,518,431 contracts, compared to 8,015,643 contracts at the same point last year.
The Options Clearing Corporation reported a new open interest record of 295,155,733 contracts was set on July 20. Open interest, the total number of options contracts not yet exercised or allowed to expire, is seen as an indication of longer-term investing in these instruments.
- Five of the top 10 volume days were recorded in July, including two new daily volume records—first on July 20 when 18,788,070 contracts were traded, and then on July 26 when 21,313,025 contracts changed hands.
- Six of the top 10 equity option trading volume days occurred in July, also including two new daily records on July 20 and 26. The new record stands at 18,946,472.
- Notable in July’s 12.6 million contract average daily volume is that the month saw a holiday week and a shortened trading day on July 3 for Independence Day.
OIC is a non-profit association funded by the American Stock Exchange, Boston Options Exchange, Chicago Board Options Exchange, International Securities Exchange, NYSE Arca, Philadelphia Stock Exchange and The Options Clearing Corporation. OIC's resources include: The Options Industry Services call center at 1-888-OPTIONS, educational Web sites at www.888options.com and www.OICoptions.com, evening seminars throughout the continental United States and Canada , instructional DVDs and educational literature and software.
REGISTER FOR THE OPTIONS
- Free, unbiased options education
- Learn in-person and online
- Advance at your own pace